Microneedling or Collagen Induction Therapy is a cosmetic procedure that involves using a device with tiny automated needles which creates controlled micro-injuries to the skin. This stimulates the healing cascade in the skin of a variety of anti-inflamatory growth factors and cytokines which produce new collagen and elastin.
This micro-injury reboots and resets cellular function and enhances cell-to-cell communication which will be demonstrated in improvement of pigment distribution, less sebum production and decrease in acne. It visibly helps the overall skin texture, tone, hyperpigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles, acne, acne scarring and scars treated on other parts of the body.
This procedure is performed after a topical anaesthetic is applied and is well tolerated. Because of these channels, absorption of topical products increases to 80% compared to 7-10% without micro needling. This allows deeper penetration of therapies that would otherwise not be possible. Hence, it is crucial to put only approved substances on the skin afterwards which is discussed at your consultation.
- Prepping the skin for 1-4 weeks with nourishing skin care that includes Vitamins A and C will also improve the results.
- Staying out of the sun x 4 weeks post procedure and using an SPF of 30 or greater is important.
- Downtime is minimal with a small amount of redness and swelling that goes away after a few hours to a few days is typical.
- Some flaking and feeling of dry, sensitive skin is also common after the procedure so no shaving of the face for 5 days is recommended.
- Typically, a series of 3 treatments, 2-6 weeks apart (depending on indication) with every 6 months to 1 year maintenance therapy is recommended. The results continue to improve for 3 months after a treatment.